On February 8, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy made an unannounced visit to London, which was his second trip abroad since February 24, 2022.
earlier reported that Zelenskyy’s visit to the United Kingdom was revealed on this very day due to security concerns, and his flight to London was on a Royal Air Force military plane.
Here is a brief summary of Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s visit to the United Kingdom:
- 1. Zelenskyy chose the U.K., which has all the while been Kyiv’s principal ally alongside the U.S., as the second country to visit after Russia’s full-fledged invasion of Ukraine.
- 2. The United Kingdom announced new sanctions against Russia, which include restrictive measures against six entities that help Russia’s military industry in its war in Ukraine, one entity that multiplies the wealth of Vladimir Putin and the Kremlin elites, and eight individuals involved in such enrichment.
- 3. London will extend its training program to Ukrainian pilots and marines, which will include teaching the pilots to fly NATO-standard fighter jets.
- 4. The U.K. will deliver additional military equipment to Ukraine, both to contain Russia’s spring offensive and to deter missile attacks against Ukraine’s infrastructure.
- 5. After Volodymyr Zelenskiy asked to give Kyiv fighter jets, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak tasked Defense Secretary Ben Wallace with investigating what planes Ukraine needs, which means there’s a possibility that they will be provided.
Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s address to the U.K. Parliament [video]
previously wrote that during his unannounced visit to Lobdon, Volodymyr Zelenskyy attended 10 Downing Street, where he talked with Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, the Westminster Hall to address the British Parliament, and Buckingham Palace, where he was received by King Charles III.
Then he visited Ukrainian troops being trained in the United Kingdom, and the same evening he was set to arrive in Paris.
In France, the president will meet with the country’s leader, Emmanuel Macron, and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, who flies to Paris to attend the meeting.
On Thursday, February 9, Zelenskyy is expected to take part in the summit of EU leaders in Brussels if the visit won’t be derailed by an escalation in Ukraine or security concerns.
Zelenskyy’s previous foreign visit, the first one since Russia’s full-scale invasion, was to Washington.