On May 9, the U.S. Department of Defense announced a new package of security assistance. Its total worth is up to $1.2 billion.
The announcement was made by the DoD Press Service.
The new package includes the following equipment and support:
- Additional air defense systems and munitions;
- Equipment to integrate Western air defense launchers, missiles, and radars with Ukraine's air defense systems;
- Ammunition for counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems;
- 155mm artillery rounds;
- Commercial satellite imagery services;
- Support for training, maintenance, and sustainment activities.
All the weapons will be procured directly from the U.S. defense industry or its allies.
"This USAI package underscores the continued U.S. commitment to meeting Ukraine's most urgent requirements by committing critical near-term capabilities, such as air defense systems and munitions, while also building the capacity of Ukraine's Armed Forces to defend its territory and deter Russian aggression over the long term," says the Department of Defense.
It was reported in March 2023 that the Biden administration allocated a total of $33.2 billion in aid to the Ukrainian Armed Forces. This includes $32.5 billion provided after the full-scale Russian invasion of February 24, 2022. The data was provided in the DoD Fact Sheet.