The United States has announced a new security assistance package for Ukraine. It will include Avenger air defense systems, additional munitions for Patriot air defense systems, and Stinger anti-aircraft systems.
According to Suspilne, the announcement was made by John Kirby, Coordinator for Strategic Communications at the National Security Council in the White House.
The assistance package is valued at up to $300 million.
What the United States is giving Ukraine
- Additional munitions for Patriot air defense systems;
- AIM-7 missiles for air defense;
- Avenger air defense systems;
- Stinger anti-aircraft systems;
- Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS);
- 155mm and 105mm artillery rounds;
- 105mm tank ammunition;
- Precision aerial munitions;
- Zuni aircraft rockets;
- Munitions for Unmanned Aerial Systems;
- AT-4 anti-armor systems;
- Over 30 million rounds of small arms ammunition;
- Mine clearing equipment and systems;
- Demolition munitions for obstacle clearing;
- Night vision devices;
- Spare parts, generators, and other field equipment.
What is known about the Avenger air defense system
The Avenger air defense system is an American self-propelled surface-to-air missile system with a machine gun. It is used against cruise missiles, unmanned aerial vehicles, low-flying fixed-wing aircraft, and helicopters.
The basic configuration of the Avenger consists of a gyro-stabilized turret with two Stinger launchers, each capable of launching up to four infrared/ultraviolet-guided missiles in rapid succession. The turrets can automatically hit targets at given coordinates.
The system is additionally equipped with a 12.7mm M3P machine gun.
The first Avenger systems were delivered to Ukraine in March 2023.