US Secretary of State Antony Blinken identified five main areas of reform for Ukraine. He stressed that these changes are very important for the country and the United States is ready to help Ukraine in this, Interfax-Ukraine reports.
What reforms does the United States need from Ukraine:
- completion of the judicial system reform, in particular, adopting bills on reforming the High Council of Justice and resuming the work of the High Qualification Commission of Judges;
- ensuring transparency and independence of the anti-corruption bodies managemen—National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine (NABU) and Specialized Anti-Corruption Prosecutor's Office (SAPO);
- corporate governance reform—adopting a law that will ensure the independence of the company's supervisory boards;
- reform of the SSU—demilitarization and depoliticization of the state security;
- punishment for corruption of officials: since 2014, no senior official has been prosecuted for corruption crimes.
Context. During the meeting between President Zelenskyy and Blinken in May 2021, the problems of combating corruption and reforms were already discussed. At that time the Secretary of State also assured of the sincere support of the Ukrainian reforms by the United States.