US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has arrived in Ukraine on a visit. During his visit, he will meet with President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, Minister of Foreign Affairs Dmytro Kuleba and members of the public.
His Assistant Victoria Nuland has arrived with him. Blinken announced his arrival on Twitter.
He noted that this is an important opportunity to discuss continued Russian aggression and to underscore the need for maintaining both the pace of and focus on reforms with their Ukrainian partners.
During the visit, Blinken will encourage Ukraine to make progress on the reforms agenda that are key to strengthening democratic institutions, economic prosperity and a Euro-Atlantic future.
In addition, the United States is deeply concerned about the aggressive actions of the Russian Federation and the rhetoric against Ukraine, including the increased presence of Russian troops in the occupied Crimea and near the borders of Ukraine. In particular, the US State Department claims that it continues to closely monitor the situation and coordinate with Ukrainian officials, allies and partners.
Schedule of Blinken's meetings with the Ukrainian government:
- 9:20 Blinken will meet with the deputies of the Verkhovna Rada. The meeting is closed to the press;
- 09:40 Antony Blinken will meet with Minister of Foreign Affairs Dmytro Kuleba;
- 10:10 Blinken, together with Minister of Foreign Affairs Dmytro Kuleba and Metropolitan Epiphanius, will take part in laying flowers at the memorial to those killed in the war in Donbas;
- 10:20 Antony Blinken and Metropolitan Epiphanius will visit the St. Michael's Cathedral;
- 10:45 Secretary of State Antony Blinken will meet with President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy. However, the press will not be allowed to the meeting;
- 11:55 Blinken will hold a joint press conference with President Volodymyr of Ukraine Zelensky. The website of the Office of the President notes that a press meeting is scheduled for 12:30;
- 12:30 Antony Blinken will meet with the Prime Minister of Ukraine Denys Shmyhal;
- 15:25 Antony Blinken will take part in a virtual roundtable discussion on reforms and the fight against corruption;
- 16:15 Antony Blinken will take part in a virtual meeting of the US Embassy in Kyiv.