The Department of Defense announced on Friday, June 9, a new security assistance package for Ukraine, which totals up to $2.1 billion and includes HAWK surface-to-air missile systems, ammunition for Patriot surface-to-air missile systems, and Puma drones.
According to the Pentagon press service, the package is being provided under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI), which enables the United States to procure capabilities from industry or partners. The announcement means that Washington is beginning a contracting process.
The assistance package includes:
- Additional munitions for Patriot air defense systems;
- HAWK air defense systems and missiles;
- 105mm and 203mm artillery rounds;
- Puma Unmanned Aerial Systems;
- Laser-guided rocket system munitions;
- Support for training, maintenance, and sustainment activities.