Every fifth Ukrainian business has failed to renew its exports because of the full-scale war, as evidenced by a survey by the Institute for Economic Research and Policy Consulting.
Ukrainian business executives were polled in May as part of the Ukrainian Business in Wartime survey, yielding the following results:
- 19% of enterprises that were
- exporting before the start of the war could not resume exports during the last 12 months;
- 80% of export businesses continued to export during the last 12 months, but the war limited the recovery of exports;
- 59% of businesses do not expect changes in the volume of exports in the coming months;
- 37% expect exports to grow, while 3% expect them to shrink.
The main obstacles for exporters in May 2023 were:
- queues at the western borders of Ukraine (68%);
- maritime blockade (44%);
- lack of railway wagons/trucks/drivers (33%);
- customs formalities (33%).
Experts are concerned about the situation with the recovery of exports due to problems with logistics and free access to the sea caused by the war.