The National Security and Defense Council (NSDC) instructed the Cabinet of Ministers to assign the duties of the Chairman of the Board of Ukrzaliznytsia to the Minister of Infrastructure Oleksandr Kubrakov, the press service of the Ministry of Infrastructure commented to the news agency Interfax-Ukraine.
The NSDC, in particular, requires Ukrzaliznytsia to:
- bring freight transportation to economically justified tariffs;
- ensure uninterrupted power distribution to Ukrzaliznytsia;
- introduce programs for the rehabilitation of the infrastructure, rolling stock, organize the purchase of new cars;
- to ensure an increase in transit and expansion of the network for transporting goods in containers;
- implement high-speed train operation.
This decision was supported by the Head of the Executive Committee of Reforms Mikheil Saakashvili. According to him, it is the Minister who should take responsibility for what is happening in Ukrzaliznytsia.
Saakashvili noted that a fast train to Odesa should appear in Ukraine and it is also worth launching a fast train to Mariupol.
Over the past two years, Ukrzaliznytsia has had a supervisor for only six months, and the heads of the Board have been changed as many as five times. As a result, the company now has accumulated almost 36 billion UAH of debts, Saakashvili said.